Poster: Old_NJ_Head_Zimmer Date: Nov 25, 2006 4:24am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Here he goes again...

The "William Tell Bridge" is not actually part of "The Eleven". It is the ending coda of St. Stephen. This is why the dead never played it with a seperated Eleven.

At least that is one circulating theory.

Hunter even has the lyrics added to the end of Stephen not the beggining of Eleven in his Box of Rain song book.

It seems true enough, though I wonder why they never played it at the end of a Stephen into any other tune? My guess is it helped them get into the time signature.

Poster: mcglone Date: Nov 25, 2006 4:48am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Here he goes again...

'St Stephen' -

High green chilly winds and windy vines in loops around the
twining shafts of lavender, they're crawling to the sun

Underfoot the ground is patched with climbing arms of ivy
wrapped around the manzanita, stark and shiny in the breeze

Wonder who will water all the children of the garden when they
sigh about the barren lack of rain and droop so hungry 'neath the
sky...

William Tell has stretched his bow till it won't stretch no
furthermore and/or it may require a change that hasn't come
before

The Annotated "The Eleven"

An installment in The Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics.
By David Dodd

Copyright notice

"The Eleven"
Words by Robert Hunter; music by Phil Lesh
Copyright Ice Nine Publishing; used by permission.

No more time to tell how
This is the season of what
Now is the time of returning
With thought jewels polished and gleaming
Now is the time past believing
The child has relinquished the reign
Now is the test of the boomerang
Tossed in the night of redeeming

Eight sided whispering hallelujah hatrack
Seven faced marble eye transitory dream doll
six proud walkers on jinglebell rainbow
Five men writing in fingers of gold
Four men tracking down the great white sperm whale
Three girls wait in a foreign dominion
Ride in the whale belly
Fade away in moonlight
Sink beneath the waters
to the coral sand below
Now is the time of returning

"The Eleven"

Recorded on Live Dead, as part of a four-part jam which includes "Dark Star," "Saint Stephen," "The Eleven," and "Lovelight." Also on Two From the Vault. According to Ihor Slabicky's discography, "The Eleven" was recorded for AOXOMOXOA, but not included on the album, where it would have followed "Saint Stephen."
Covered by Solar Circus on Juggling Suns.
After steady inclusion in the live repertoire from 1968 to 1970, "The Eleven" was dropped, to be revived once, at a concert in Golden Gate Park, on September 28, 1975.
The piece is famous among Deadheads as a vehicle for furious jamming in an odd meter, 11 beats to the bar, presenting a unity of title and musical content, though not particularly of lyric content, since Hunter's countdown begins with not eleven, but eight.
Counting songs are a long-standing tradition. Everyone knows "The Twelve Days of Christmas." But how about "Children, Go Where I Send Thee"?
And of course, counting-rhymes are a major part of the heritage of nursery rhymes carried on by Hunter and Barlow both. One of the best known is "A Gaping Wide-Mouthed Waddling Frog" (a cumulative verse, ending up with the following):
"Twelve huntsmen with horn and hounds,
Hunting over other men's ground;
Eleven ships sailing o'er the main,
Some bound for France and some for Spain;
Ten comets in the sky,
Some low and some high;
Nine peacocks in the air,
I wonder how they all came there,
I don't know, nor I don't care; [see "Ripple"]
Eight joiners in joiner's hall,
Working with their tools and all;
Seven lobsters in a dish,
As fresh as any heart could wish;
Six beetles against a wall,
Close by an old woman's apple-stall;
Five puppies by our dog Ball,
Who daily for their breakfast call;
Four horses stuck in a bog,
Three monkeys tied to a clog,
Two pudding ends would choke a dog,
With a gaping wide-mouthed waddling frog."
The counting portion of "The Eleven" was originally included by Hunter as part of "China Cat Sunflower". (See Conversations with the Dead, by David Gans, p. 24-25)

This note from a reader:

Subject: AGDL: The Eleven
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 96 12:00:27 EDT
From: Jon Baker
You note that the odd meter is "presenting a unity of title and musical content, though not particularly of lyrical content."

Might I suggest another allusion in the 11-beat meter? The most popular (only?) classical piece I can think of with an 11-beat measure is the Promenade theme from Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." Perhaps the lyrics' floating from one image to another alludes to this wandering from one picture to another.

Jonathan Baker
pgmjjb@ibi.com

And another note from a reader: